Summer Theatre Conservatory:
|Credit:||3.0 units of USC credit|
|Pre-Requisites:||Audition mp3 or CD (see below)|
The USC School of Dramatic Arts offers an opportunity for students to work with theatre professionals and explore a creative experience in the dramatic arts.
This rigorous, conservatory-style training course is designed for students with a serious interest in musical theatre. The emphasis is on process and includes intensive study of movement, singing and acting for the musical stage. Students will also study theory, history and text analysis. The class culminates in a public performance held at the end of the program.
Summer Theatre Conservatory is also offered in Acting Intensive and New Works: From the Page to the Stage.
- Learn from theatre professionals in a collaborative and interactive, conservatory-style environment
- Participate in off-campus field trips to see professional theatre in Los Angeles
- Previous students have attended performances at the Ahmanson Theatre and Mark Taper Forum
- Culminate your summer experience with workshop productions viewed by faculty, students, family and friends
Topics of Study:
- Core Practice: Movement, voice, acting
- Theory, History and Text Analysis
- Auditioning for Universities
How to Apply:
Each applicant must create an audition CD or mp3 for placement purposes. You are encouraged to sing with accompaniment, but you may sing a cappella if accompaniment cannot be arranged. The selection should not be digitally edited or altered to change the sound of your voice.
Your recording should include a 32-bar selection from the musical theatre (about 1-2 minutes) that best showcases your voice and personality. You need not be a highly-trained singer to be admitted, as the audition is for placement purposes only.
E-mail mp3 to: email@example.com
Mail CD to:
USC Office of Continuing Education and Summer Programs
3415 South Figueroa Street, Suite 107
Los Angeles, California 90089-0874
Include the applicant’s name in the mp3 filename or on the CD. Recordings will not be returned.
Meet USC Summer Alumna Malia Civetz! Malia completed the USC Summer Musical Theatre course in 2011, and is currently a Sophomore majoring in Popular Music in the Thornton School of Music, here at the University of Southern California.