FUTURE PHYSICIANS (Waitlist)
|Credit:||3.0 units of USC credit|
|Pre-Requisites:||Proof of vaccination (see below)|
2 years of high school science
with grades of B or better
Interested in becoming a physician? Gain insights into the academic preparation necessary to become a successful medical school applicant. Learn about medical training, issues affecting the practice of medicine, and cutting-edge medical research. Observe and talk with physicians in various clinical and lab settings and participate in hands-on laboratory activities.
- Learn from a variety of physicians inside and outside of the classroom
- Participate in practice-based labs and clinical experiences
- You will get to ‘shadow’ physicians at both the world-class hospital and teaching site for the USC Keck School of Medicine, Children’s Hospital, Los Angeles (CHLA) and at the USC Keck School of Medicine Family Medicine Residency, which will include both inpatient and outpatient experiences.
- Observe physicians and medical researchers in various clinical and lab settings
- Have speakers come to class to talk about applying to medical school, life as a medical student and as a resident, life as a physician after all the training.
Topics of Study:
We have restructured the class around the 3 ‘S’s of medicine: the soul of medicine, the science of medicine and the system in which medicine is practiced. For the science, we will study the anatomy, physiology and pathology of certain organ systems with a focus on some of the issues and diseases that are of paramount concern right now. Study of ‘the system’ will cover some the current dilemmas facing us on a national level, and we will take a look at how some if these issues came to be the way they are now. And the soul, the reason most of us got into medicine to begin with, how is that faring in this tumultuous time?
Note: The schedule for this course varies on the day students visit the hospital, see below. Commuter students must depart from and return to campus with the class on all field trip days.
Hospital Visit Days Schedule (tentative):
|7:15 am – 7:45 am:||Travel to hospital|
|8:00 am – 12:00 pm:||Hospital rounds|
|12:00 pm - 1:00 pm:||Travel back to campus|
|2:00 pm – 5:00 pm:||Afternoon class session|
Required Clothing: On field trip days, students must follow a professional dress code (slacks, button-down shirt, long dress/skirt, blouse) and wear closed toe shoes. The following are not permitted: jeans, tight pants, extreme low-rise pants, low cut shirts, tank tops, bare back or bare midriff, flip-flops or sandals. All top wear must fully cover the shoulders and upper arms.
Please remember, you are being invited into the private and privileged space of other people’s very personal problems. Looking professional is required of you. It is understood to be a sign of respect.
Students will NOT be permitted to attend field trips, including the hospital visit, if they do not follow the dress code.
Required Proof of Vaccination:
Admitted students must submit the Vaccination Records form and medical records showing the following:
- MMR Vaccination (Measles, Mumps and Rubella; usually given in infancy)
- TB test dated after July 31, 2014
For more information, see Required and Optional Forms